Growing the Local Food Economy Forum
January 27, 2018
Okanagan College Cafeteria-Vernon Campus ~ 9am – 3pm
Calling all members of the North Okanagan food system:
PRODUCERS, PROCESSORS, WHOLESALERS, DISTRIBUTORS, RETAILERS AND CHEFS
plus supportive academics, government staff and members of non-profits
At This Event, You Will:
- Learn from inspiring examples from across BC and North America
- Develop relationships with like-minded people from our regional food system
- Share strategies about how to grow the local food economy
- Organize to take specific actions in the short, medium and long term
WORKING GROUP DISCUSSIONS
During this forum, participants will prioritize and plan actions for building a stronger and more resilient local food economy in the North Okanagan
GUEST SPEAKERS INCLUDE:
Curtis Ogden – of the Interaction Institute for Social Change will describe how people in regional food system networks can collaborate to strengthen their food economies in Northeastern USA
Kathleen Gibson – of the BC Food Systems Network will share examples of local food economy successes from regions across BC
Mary Stockdale and Eva-Lena Lang – Co-authors of a new report: “Growing the Local Food Economy” will summarise the findings of recent consultations on opportunities and challenges for the regional food system of the North Okanagan, with recommendations for the future
A LUNCH is included.
A SHOWCASE AREA will be set up for local food businesses and organizations to display their products and services
Thanks to our sponsors, this event is FREE to participants.
Speaker: Curtis Ogden
Curtis has served as Senior Associate since 2005 and brings to the Boston-based Interaction Institute for Social Change (IISC) his experience in education, community building, leadership development, and program design, as well as an abiding passion for work at the intersection of racial justice and environmental sustainability.
For the past several years he has built a robust practice in support of numerous multi-stakeholder collaborative change networks, including Food Solutions New England; Inter-Institutional Network for Food, Agriculture, and Sustainability; Cancer Free Economy Network; Fire Adapted Communities Learning Network; Vermont Farm to Plate Network; Connecticut Right From the Start; and the Education Justice Network.
He is a recognized thought leader around network development and social change, and has presented numerous webinars and keynote speeches and is a regular contributor to the IISC blog on this and other related topics.
Browse showcase of local food businesses and organizations
Enjoy coffee and conversation with colleagues
|9:00am||Inspire to Action
· Curtis Ogden of the Interaction Institute for Social Change will describe how people in regional food system networks collaborate to strengthen their food economies in Northeastern USA
· Kathleen Gibson of the BC Food Systems Network will share examples of local food economy success from across BC
· Mary Stockdale and Eva-Lena Lang – Co-authors of a new report: “Growing the Local Food Economy” will summarise the findings of recent consultations on opportunities and challenges for the food system of the North Okanagan, with recommendations for the future
|11:00||Mobilize for Action:
· What Shared Priority Actions Will Help Us Grow The Local Food Economy?
|12:30||Local Food Lunch Buffet|
|1:00pm||Mobilize for Action, continued:
· What Initial Steps Are Necessary To Successfully Achieve These Priorities?
|2:30pm||Share Priority Action Highlights & Next Steps|
- The volunteer organizers of this regional forum work or study in a variety of areas related to food, agriculture, human health, food access and sustainability.
- This regional forum is our first major event of a planned long-term effort to develop a robust, self-sustaining local food economy to the benefit of economic livelihoods, human health, food security and environmental sustainability.
The committee for “Growing the Local Food Economy”:
- Mary Stockdale, UBCO
- Linda Boyd, Interior Health
- Leigha Horsfield, Community Futures of the North Okanagan
- Jane Lister, Okanagan College
- Linda Elmose, Okanagan College
- Eva-Lena Lang, UBCO, YOung Agrarians
- Andrea Gunner
- Emily Jubinville
- David Askew
- Victor Cumming
- Kat Donnison
- … and others.
For more information, contact: [email protected]